Friday, June 25, 2010

Arriving and "RV"

The flight from the US was long but reasonable. Emirates is a good airline to fly, even in coach. DC to Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi to Dubai, Dubai to Kabul on Safi Airlines. I saw a jet-black drone fly under the airplane as we flew over southern Afghanistan, but wasn't quick enough to get a photo.

Some of the other interns (for whom I have to thank for many of the pictures posted on this blog), instead had to fly the less pleasant "Scary-ana" to Kabul, and had an interesting stop-over on the way:




They did not get off the airplane, but did see some A-10s out the window:



Unconfirmed since they did not get off the plane, but it is claimed that the exit to Kandahar airport has a sign that says something to the effect of "You are encouraged not to enter Kandahar", and that the entrance on the other side of the doorway has scrawled into it, "We told you not to come."

Since landing in Kabul, Afghans have generally been very kind and polite, with a couple of students on the plane striking up conversation about their studies in the US and elsewhere and their life in Kabul. Now you might roll your eyes and say "everyone says people are nice when they go to a new city." If so, you've never been to Shanghai (no offense, anyone from Shanghai, but seriously I've never gotten so many nasty stares in my life).

I was met at the airport by Meraj, whose picture I will post if I get it, and quickly driven to Roshan Village ("RV"), the compound in which all the expat staff for Roshan live. The compound is surrounded by a perhaps 30-foot wall. The Roshan vans (which thankfully are pretty nondescript, in contrast to the very obvious UN vehicles), approach a metal gate, which opens to a small area where the cars are checked for car bombs (the same sort of mirror-on-a-stick business you get when you go to a secure government building in the US or UK). I won't give details on the rest of the security screening for obvious reasons, but at the end of it you come to courtyard that is our temporary home. I'd describe it as a prison yard with rose bushes. If you care to see a video, see:



My room, shared with another intern, is air-conditioned, clean, and has a TV (which has been a must this World Cup). Only my mother would care, but here's a picture of the place:




So very nice in a place where many expats have to boil their water every morning. The food, too, is good though at times repetitive (which I don't mind). Every meal has the option of naan, rice, and dal- which works well for me.

Speaking of food, remind me to tell you about buttermilk...




No comments:

Post a Comment